How I successfully modded my desktop PC hardware
The basic idea is to correct (optimise) the airflow.
near-silent fans = low speed fans
low speed fans = low airflow rate
low (case exit) airflow rates -> CPU warmed air does not get immediately exited
non-exited CPU warmed air -> CPU fan recycling warm air
Break the CPU warm air recycling with a cool air intake pipe (taking air from the floor intake fan to the CPU fan).
- near-silent operation (all fans running at low speed, best with temp sensing, plus post-off cooling)
- CPU hot air not recirculated (important as slow case fans do not exit fast)
- new airflow pipe (taking cool air from near floor case to CPU fan)
- plastic tubing (5 Euro)
- case fans (near-silent 120mm about 20 Euro)
- vertical airflow
- flow from front to back
- all fans running at low speed for near-silent operation
- floor case intake fan large (120mm much better than anything else, especially at low speeds)
- as many exit fans near to CPU as possible
- exit fan(s) at case top/rear
- large fans much better than multiple smaller fans
watch this space - must take my machine down for the pictures!
(C) 2005-2006 Johnathon Weare